Due to the unpredictable nature of CWVs we charge our hourly dev rate ($80hr, or $60/hr for clients with an active support/maintenance plan). Depending on the quality of theme, plugins, ads, scripts, hosting, and other factors the number of hours needed to attain passing scores is on average 2-6.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN DURING CWV FIXES?
Popups/scripts/plugins/theme-features may get disabled depending on how badly they’re affecting CWVs. If a feature can’t pass CWVs then it gets disabled. Please refrain from enabling features you notice being disabled until after you get your report of findings/fixes. The point of this CWV fix/audit is to quickly identify problems and fix or remove them to get passing scores = sometimes some things just can’t pass CWV, you can add them back on after the audit is complete if you’d like, but it’s recommended to monitor your CWVs as it’s very easy to shift back into failing grades.
Some basic fixes will include:
- Your WP Rocket installation will be optimized to work with CWVs.
- Plugins may get removed or replaced, many plugins may have settings tweaked to result in smaller footprint/reduced DOM Nodes.
- Custom fonts may be removed and replaced with system fonts (arial, sans-serif, verdana, times, etc).
- Your Cloudflare config will get optimized to work with CWVs.
- Your theme will get tweaked to be CWV compliant which may include changing design elements in the above-the-fold area, resizing fonts, adding mobile menu plugin, or more.
- Images may be added to a image CDN using wp.com’s free global CDN.
THINGS TO LOOK AT BEFORE AND AFTER CWV FIXES:
- Check Google Analytics to make sure data is still recording correctly.
- Make sure your ads account has both desktop and mobile ads optimized for pagespeed (Adthrive you must email them, Mediavine you can turn on from your account dashboard).
- Removed any ads loading above the fold, or they will cause failing CLS that we-can’t-fix.